Everyone loves a paella – this is the perfect recipe for the whole family and it’s really easy to make. It’s packed with delicious flavours and great veggies, and is suitable for those avoiding dairy.
This paella takes a little bit of prep but once it’s in the pan you can sit back and relax until its ready! Enjoy.
Ingredients (serves 3-4)
- 500g chicken breast, diced
- 140g Spanish chorizo, diced (or a lower fat sausage alternative if you prefer)
- 200g brown basmati rice
- 550ml low-salt chicken stock
- 200g piccolo tomatoes or vine ripened cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 peppers, diced
- 125g babycorn, chopped into 1cm pieces
- A handful of basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Ground Pepper
- Add the chicken and olive oil to a large wok (preferably a paella pan) and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the wok and place in a covered bowl.
- Add the chorizo, onion, garlic and peppers to the wok and cook for 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken back in the wok and add the babycorn, turmeric, paprika and tomatoes. Cook for further 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the stock with boiling water, and loosely slice half the basil.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and a good sprinkling of ground pepper, and stir in the rice for 30 seconds.
- Add the stock and basil and stir. Leave to simmer gently for 20 mins or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Sprinkle the remaining basil leaves on top and serve immediately.
You can substitute the brown basmati rice for quinoa or barley for an extra nutritious meal!